By the time, Kyra's bday rolled around, Mommy and Daddy were exhausted. Thomas actually had to leave for Vegas for Al's bachelor party that night. So, we promised Kyra we would officially celebrate her bday in DC where we will be spending two months of our summer. However, we did manage to get her a strawberry ice cream cake decorated with a hotwheel (they didn't have Lightening McQueen).
It is not without a bit of sadness that I see my baby girl turning four. Everyday, as she sips on her milk, she tells me, "Mommy, Look I'm growing!"
And she is growing, more and more like my mother. Fiercely independent and brave beyond her years, she shocks even my own fairly lose reins on what she can and can't do (afterall, I'm still hoping she will become a professional snowboarder...this is not apparently what Thomas prefers). Just yesterday, she insisted on riding the craziest rollercoaster at the Bear Paw Festival, alone. She kept standing at the foot of the entrance, giving her best puppy look (which she learned from the movie Bolt) to the ride administrator. As I bounced Ethan in my arms and tried my best to entice her in other more age-appropriate rides, the ride administrater told us that she couldn't ride without an adult. I managed to get her on a carousol and Kyra just looked so depressed. She said, "Mommy, I don't like this" meaning..."OMG, this is so boring."
The more I tried to dissuade her. The more she appealed to my emotions. "Mommy, I want the dragon," she said.
What could I say to that? Yes. Mommy does too. I felt partially responsible for her partiality to dragons.
Eventually when nothing could get this girl to smile, the ride adminstrator finally agreed to allow her to board with another adult....yes, a stranger. I asked Kyra, "Are you sure you want to ride this without Mommy?"
She nodded excitedly.
"Are you sure, you won't be scared?"
She said, "I not scared, Mommy. I won't cry."
So, I let her go . The ride looked pretty scary from my vantage point. It repeated itself 5 times. I could barely see her little head poking out from behind the protection bars. The first time around, Kyra had the biggest smile spread across her face, hair flying madly about. The rest of the times, she looked bored. After the ride, she said, "Mommy, see. I not scared."
I said, "You're crazy."
She said, "Mommy, I not crazy. I'm happy."
1 comment:
I miss that little girl like crazy. Next summer, you guys should come visit me.
Post a Comment