Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Mt. Baldi

Who knew that right in my neighborhood, there were peaks to climb? Peaks that could satisfy the craving within that longs to summit Denali or Everest even though the possibility seems quite remote as you bounce your infant on your hip. I'm standing on Mt. Baldi in Eagle River. For the locals, it's not much of an accomplishment, since your car takes you up most of the way and then there's a steep hour or so long scramble to the top. Keilah, Katy, and I left at 9am and were back by noon. But it sure felt alive to inhale the chilly mountain air and see Denali, Anchorage downtown, Sleepy Mountain, and the valley that I live in.Check out these slivers of ice standing straight like hair or grass at the top of Mt. Baldi. If I pick them up, they come loose. Does anyone know what it is?







1 comment:

Sig. said...

I'm surprised you'd never been there before -- it seems very unlike you to ignore some wilderness in your back yard.