The highlight: Much to Thomas' delight, I finally got snowmachining out of my system. Without seatbelts or anything really that makes you feel safe, the snowmachine is my kind of toy. At any moment, I felt I could've been ripped off and smashed onto the frozen lake rushing by beneath. I loved going through the trees. It's bumpy, unpredictable because sometimes there's a felled tree or something that you have to take the risk of speeding over, and tricky. Amber Cove Cabin, where we stayed, was pretty sweet too.
Mishap: On our way home, we were following our friend's truck and making our way down a curve in the road when suddenly my friend slipped off the road and into the ditch. There were apparently two more cars in the ditch already and my friend didn't want to slam into those cars or there passengers who were milling around. Unfortunately, we didn't have a chance. Thomas expertly got us around my friend's truck but the heavy trailer bed we were pulling yanked us back into our friend. I heard the sickening crunch of metal upon metal. My friend's snowmachine was ripped off our trailer bed and landed upside down. The trailer bed was totaled. And the right back end of Thomas' truck got damaged. We made it home fine, but let's just say, we were pretty depressed. It's not easy or inexpensive to have some fun in Alaska.
No comments:
Post a Comment